Tuesday, May 8, 2012


JUST AROUND THE BEND

 These past couple of weeks, and particularly this past week, I am again reminded of our walk with the Lord, comparing it to our life as a journey.  We are indeed pilgrims here, traveling along, walking through the storms of life, but always aware that our Lord and Savior is just ahead leading the way “Home.”

 As friends and I traveled north to a retreat recently, and then headed home, going south, I was amazed at the beautiful mountains, the valleys, the rivers and small streams.  It rained most of the way to the retreat and back, and while we were there.  I saw the beautiful Pacific Ocean, and the waves crashing, and knew that my God was in control of all things along this journey if life.

 We too have mountains to cross.  Sometimes we are in the valley of despair, and sometimes we have rest beside quiet streams.  I saw that picture as we traveled south.  There was a large pond, so still it reminded me of glass.  And there around that pond were sheep.  Some were feeding quietly, some were lying down.  I thought of Psalm 23:2:  “He makes me to lie down in green pastures: He leads me beside the still waters.” Yes, sometimes He makes us lie down.  We become so anxious and stressful, that He, in His tender mercy, will cause us to lie down.  Situations will arise where we just have to stop and rest.

A loved one and I recently were discussing our birthdays and our lives as “seniors.”  I had mentioned to her that we were not “over the hill.”  But she replied, “No we are not over the hill, but climbing.”  I thought about that and told her, “Yes, we are climbing, but just around a few more bends in the road we will be “Home” at last.  We only can be together once a year because of distance, and it is always so hard to tell her “goodbye.”  But someday, in our new heavenly home, there will be no more “goodbyes.” We will be together forever, Praise the Lord!

“Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand.  You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you?  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” Psalm 73:23-26.

He never leaves me or forsakes me (Hebrews 13:5).  He promises to hold my right hand as He guides me on through life.  Oh, the storms may blow and rock my ship, but my Captain calms the storms of my life.  And when I follow Him closely the seas become calm, the fog lifts and I can see the sun again.  And when my travels are done, He will lead me safely home to glory!  Some of us may have many bends in the road ahead of us, and long stretches to travel.  And some of us may reach “Home” just around the next bend.

I don’t have anyone in heaven but Him, and as much as I love my family and friends, there is no one I desire more than my Lord Jesus, and long to see Him face to face.

In ministry situations this past week, I shared this picture of our journey with those in the nursing home and in the foster home.  Some of these dear ones are really struggling along with pain in their bodies, discouragement, wondering what is ahead in their situations.  I reminded them to don’t lose heart.  I know it is so hard, and sometimes there are no words to say, as I have not been in their situation, but with the Lord’s great compassion I can reach out with the touch of my hand on a forehead, or touch a hand. Sometimes it is just a kiss on the forehead or just a hug in the Name of Jesus.  We are Jesus’ hands to reach out to those who are suffering and in great distress.

So as you journey along, following Jesus, keep your eyes on Him, even though, as one of my ladies said, “There seems to be rocks in my path,  and it is hard to get around them.”  Sometimes the road seems so steep that we can hardly, in our own strength, put one foot in front of another.  But it is with His strength that we can carry on and continue our climb upward and onward toward our prize, that prize being our Heavenly home, our journey will be complete, and Oh, the joy when our Precious Lord welcomes us home.  And we will be able to say with the Apostle Paul:

“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course.  I have kept the faith:  Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day:  and not to me only, but to all them also that love His appearing” II Timothy 4:7-8.

I want to remind anyone reading this today,  who has not accepted Christ as their own personal Savior, that there are two roads to follow in this life, the straight one leading to destruction, and the narrow road leading to salvation.  A song I heard recently says:  “Life has many choices, eternity has two.”  Which choice have you made?

“Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth!  For I am God and there is no other. I have sworn my Myself; the word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath” Isaiah 45:22-23.

So, my brothers and sisters in the Lord, keep traveling on, heaven is just around the bend!

Blessings,
Pastor Sharon













 






No comments:

Post a Comment