Wednesday, July 31, 2013

KEEP ME NEAR THE CROSS

KEEP ME NEAR THE CROSS

As I sit here at my computer, I look out at smoked filled skies, due to fires in neighboring counties, and I wonder about all those involved, fire fighters and those facing having to leave their homes and go to shelters.  My mind goes over the past weekend attending a lovely wedding by the river, and Sunday services and the opportunity to stand in the “pulpit” sharing God’s Word, as I focused on the love of Jesus, and the call to be ready to meet Him, as we never know what a day will hold.  And we need to put aside our burdens and just look up, His redemption draws near. So much goes on in our lives sometimes that we need to just stop and refocus. 

It is a time to reflect on where we are on our walk with the Lord, to take a moment to quietly praise Him for the blessings He bestows upon us, and take some time to just be still and let His peace overflow us.  We may be in the midst of walking through the “fire” in our lives, and the wind may be blowing “smoke” in our eyes so we can’t see the “Son.”  So many people are going through great trials right now, but our God is in the midst of every storm, Oh Praise the Lord! 

As I shared on Sunday, His love is like the mighty ocean, rolling and rolling over us.  He is over us, under us, and all around us.  And I want to share today that it is all because of the Cross.  The Cross of Christ stands in the midst of history.  Its mighty arm points back to the promises in the Old Testament of a coming Redeemer, the Lamb of God to take away the sin of the world, and the other arm is extended into eternity, bringing life and salvation.  In our walk with the Lord everything is obtained through the Cross of Christ, our Salvation, our healing, His great love, and the great redemption of our souls, promising eternity in heaven with Him.

 And then, as believers and walking with the Lord we must keep near the Cross, and let our focus and our very walk with Jesus be there.  I desire to stay near the Cross, and encourage all believers out there to also be near the Cross, as we kneel in prayer, spend our quiet times with Him, stay in His Word and reach out to a dying and hurting world.
NEAR THE CROSS

“Jesus keep me near the cross, there a precious fountain free to all a healing stream flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.

In the cross, in the cross, be my glory ever; till my raptured soul shall find rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul, Love and mercy found me; there the Bright and Morning Star sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God, bring its scenes before me; help me walk from day to day, with its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait, hoping, trusting ever, till I reach the golden strand, just beyond the river.  (Fanny Crosby)

That healing stream is flowing from Calvary’s Mountain, to you my sister, to you my brother.  The blood of Jesus is still flowing, as a great fountain. As the old song says “Millions have come, there is still room for one, there is room at the Cross for you,” can you fathom that love, that He would give His very life, shed His blood so man’s sin could be atoned.  Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission for sin (Hebrews 9:22).

“For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him” Romans 5:6-9.

I remember so well the night, at nine years of age, realizing the price Jesus had paid for my sins, I made my way to the altar, and there His love and His mercy found me.  It is near the Cross where His mercy and grace flows out to each one who kneels there.  And I pray that you, too, will kneel there, and let His presence surround you as He gathers you into His arms.

And as we walk this pathway of life with Jesus, He calls us to ever keep the Cross before us, ever mindful of the sacrifice He made, the suffering He went through for you, for me.  Again, such love as Jesus has for the world our minds cannot comprehend such love.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, what whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” John 3:16.

We are called to be watching and waiting, staying near the Cross daily, as we continue our journey upward and ever onward toward our eternal home.  We walk with hope in our hearts, fixing our eyes on Jesus as He leads us home.  Yes, the storms will come and rock our ship, the winds will blow, and just as today our skies may be filled with smoke and we can’t see the “Son” but He is there surrounding us, covering us with His love, and holding us in His everlasting arms.  He is the Prince of Peace, the One who walks on the water and calms the storm. 

So my friends, keep moving on with Jesus, keeping your eyes on the Cross, as heaven is just around the next bend, and such joy awaits each of His children.  I pray that if you haven’t knelt at the Cross, you will do so now, make your peace there with Jesus, He is waiting for you with his ever flowing love, waiting to gather you into His arms for all eternity.

In the Name of Jesus,
Pastor Sharon







No comments:

Post a Comment