Friday, May 15, 2015

COME JUST AS YOU ARE!

As I was sharing an article about Billy Graham in our recent newsletter, I was reminded of the hymn, "Just as I Am." Billy Graham was led to Christ in a great revival meeting in 1934, and the hymn of invitation was this wonderful hymn, which was later the song of invitation in the great crusades, where thousands and thousands of people have walked the aisles to receive Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.

I remember watching the crusades on television and seeing the great choirs as they sang in the crusades all over the world. Oh, what a blessing this hymn has been! Even in my own life, as a child in my home church, I remember singing this hymn. This is the story of that hymn and the precious lady who wrote it under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. In my research I found that she also wrote about 150 other hymns.

"Charlotte Elliott seemed to have everything going for her as a young woman. She was gifted as a portrait artist and also a writer of humorous verse.

Then in her early thirties she suffered a serious illness that left her weak and depressed. During her illness, a noted minister, Doctor Caesar Malan of Switzerland came to visit her. Noticing her depression, he asked if she had peace with God. She resented the question and said she did not want to talk about it.

But a few days later she apologized to Doctor Malan. She said that she wanted to clean up some things in her life before becoming a Christian. Doctor Malan looked at her and said, "Come just as you are."

That was enough for Charlotte Elliott, and she yielded herself to the Lord that day. Fourteen years later, remembering those words spoken by Caesar Malan in Brighton, England, she wrote this simple hymn that has been used to touch the hearts of millions, who have also responded to Christ's invitation to come just as they are."

JUST AS I AM

Just as I am, without one plea, but that Thy blood was shed for me, and that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee, O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not, to rid my soul of one dark blot, to Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God, I come! I Come!

Just as I am, tho' tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt, fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Just as I am, poor wretched, blind, sight, healing of the mind, yea, all I need in Thee to find, O Lamb of God I come! I come!

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon cleanse, relieve; because Thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God I come! I come! (Charlotte Elliott)

And I am asking you today, are you waiting for a better time to come to Jesus?  Are you feeling like you are tossed about, full of doubts and fears, sick and discouraged, fearing for the future, unsettled in your mind, worried about the situation in our world? There is not a better time to come to Jesus than right now! You do not know what tomorrow holds, or even the next hour. We are living in perilous times, Jesus is coming soon and judgment will follow, please be ready to meet Him and spend eternity with Him. You may never have another chance, this is the "Day of Salvation."  He is waiting for you, and you to "come just as you are." You don't have to wait to walk down a church aisle, you can come to Him right now where you are, just ask Him to come in. You can say a simple prayer right now and invite Him in:

"I confess to God that I am a sinner, and believing that the Lord Jesus Christ died for my sins on the cross and was raised from the dead and that my receiving Him I now have eternal life with Him forever, and confess Him as my own personal Lord and Savior, to live and serve Him. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

In Jesus' Name,
Pastor Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment