Tuesday, February 15, 2011

COME WITHOUT COST,
IT’S FREE!

Everyone loves to receive something that is free.  All of us love to find a bargain somewhere.    We in America have everything, it seems.  We buy, buy, buy and nothing satisfies.  So we buy bigger houses, bigger cars, and just “things.”  And still life seems empty and void.  Are you in that place, my friend?  Jesus calls you to just “COME.”  He offers living water and the bread that only He can give.  And all He offers is free, Christ has paid it all, and it cost Him everything, but because He paid it all, we have eternal life and joy in walking with Him, and the peace that only He can give.  Even in the hard places of our life, Jesus calls us to “COME!”

Jesus comes to us as living water, as living bread to feed our souls.  He is the Bread of Life, He is the Fountain of Living Water, and He invites us to eat and drink freely.  We read in the book of Isaiah an amazing scripture, speaking of that hunger and thirst and how it could be satisfied.  His people then, as people today,  were thirsty and dry.

“Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat.  Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.  Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?  Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in abundance.  Incline your ear, and come to Me.  Hear, and your soul shall live.”  Isaiah 55:1-3

Food costs money, and it seems the prices go up and up.  But that food we buy will only last a short time, and meets only our physical needs.  But God offers us free nourishment that feeds our soul.  How do we receive that free nourishment?  First of all He says “COME” in verse 1.  In verse 2 we LISTEN, we hear  the Word of God spoken, and in verse 3 we SEEK HIM AND CALL ON HIM.  And when we call on Him, He freely gives us eternal life.  “For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”  Romans 10:13

Isaiah asks why his people spent their hard earned wages on things that were not “bread.” And Jesus comes to us in John 6:35:  “And Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me shall never hunger, and He who believes in me shall never thirst.”   He is the Bread of Life!  We eat our bread to sustain our physical life, and only Jesus Christ and our daily walk with Him will sustain our spiritual life.

“I am the living bread which came down from heaven.  If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever, and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I give for the life of the world.”  John 6:51

Think of that my friend.  He is “living bread.”  We eat of His bread and never die.   Yes, we will die physically, if Jesus doesn’t come before that time, but we will live eternally with Him.  But He had to pay the price!  He offered His body on the cross, the bread broken.  “and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said “take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of me. I Corinthians 11:24.  He gave His life for the life of the world.  And He gave it willingly, for you and for me.  Praise the Lord!  And He says “Take Eat!”

And He is the Living Water!  We read in John 4 of the Samaritan woman who came to the well to draw water and found the Living Water!  Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst.  But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”
In the 7th Chapter of John’s Gospel, we see Jesus in the Temple in Jerusalem, and again He is speaking of water:  On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.  He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”  John 7:37-38.

Jesus used the term living water in John 4:10 to indicate eternal life.  Here He uses the term to refer to the Holy Spirit.  The two go together.  Wherever the Holy Spirit is accepted, He brings eternal life.

And finally in Revelation 22:17: “And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come.  Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

When Jesus met the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4, he told her of the living water that he could supply. This image is used again and again as Jesus Christ invites anyone to come and drink the water of life.  He invites all people everywhere to come.  Salvation cannot be earned, it has been paid for, and God gives it freely.  We live in a world that is desperately hungry for living water, and so many are dying of thirst.  But it is not too late to come, so come and drink!

FILL MY CUP LORD

Like the woman at the well I was seeking for things that could not satisfy; and then I heard my Savior speaking: “Draw from My well that never shall run dry.”

CHORUS:  Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord!  Come and quench this thirsting of my soul; Bread of heaven, feed me ‘till I want no more, fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

There are millions in this world who are craving the pleasure earthly things afford; but none can match the wondrous treasure that I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.

So, my brother, if the things this world gave you leave hungers that won’t pass away, my blessed Lord will come and save you, if you kneel to Him and humbly pray:

CHORUS:  Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord!  Come and quench this thirsting of my soul; Bread of heaven, feed me ‘till I want no more, fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

In Jesus’ Name,
Pastor Sharon Besler










No comments:

Post a Comment