Tuesday, July 5, 2011

HIS STRENGTH FOR MY DAYS

 I remember the days when I was young and strong.  I hardly ever had a sick day or even visited the doctor.  I could go and go all day long and never seem to tire.  Many of you remember those days fondly also.  And, like me, you wonder where the years have gone. 

 Now many of our days are filled with pain, stiffness.  Some of you are facing lonely years, as a dear one has gone home to be with Jesus.  Maybe, like me, you have lost your hearing, and don’t enjoy being in crowds much anymore as you just can’t hear what people are saying clearly.  But I know in my heart that the older I am, the closer I am to heaven and seeing my Blessed Lord face to face.

 But the Lord especially loves the aged ones and His Word is filled with promises just for us.  So be encouraged as I share some of those promises with you.  Maybe you are a “young senior” just facing your senior years.

 “And even to your old age I am he; and even to grey hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you” Isaiah 46:4

 The Lord is reminding us of who He is, and that He has never forsaken us, even to our gray hair.  He won’t forget us as we are slowing down in our years.  He made us. He promises to bear all our burdens, and even promises to carry us when the path gets rough and steep.  I am reminded of the picture of our Shepherd, Jesus, with a lamb in His arms and we are His lambs, His special ones.

 “O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.  Now also when I am old and grey-headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to everyone that is to come” Psalm 71:17-18.

 The Psalmist is reminding us that the Lord has taught us from the time we were children and young people.  Many of us, like myself, have known Jesus since I was a child, have always been in church and Sunday School.  And some of us have become Pastors, Teachers; great witnesses for Christ in whatever capacity, and now, as we are slowing down, we fear that the Lord will forsake us.  The Lord will never forsake us but will give us the strength to continue witnessing and sharing Jesus with this generation; our families, our children, grandchildren.  And as we continue to do that, His Great Power will be seen in the lives of our future generations to come.

 “The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the grey head” Proverbs 20:29

 One translation shares that young men are proud of their strength, but it is the old men (and women) who have the experience of the years.  Oh, the wisdom they can share, the places they have been, and the stories they can tell.  But begin sharing the Word with an elderly saint, one who has walked with the Lord down through the years, and they will have the wisdom that only years of being in God’s Word and in prayer can bring.  They can be of great counsel in the midst of life’s trials.

 “The grey head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness” Proverbs 16:31.

 The Lord looks down on His righteous saints, and beholds their white and silver hair.  And because of their years of walking in His righteousness, He sees that white or silver hair as a crown on their head.  They are literally crowned with His righteousness!

 “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread” Psalm 37:25

 The Psalmist says that he was young once, and now he is old, but never in his years has the righteous ever been forsaken or having his children begging for bread.  God will never forsake His people even in  the hard times we are now living.  We see shortages, high prices, and depressed economy.  But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus”  Philippians 4:19.

 And as we live for Him in our “Golden Years”, we have the blessed hope of heaven and being with the Lord. Oh, what an exciting day that will be!  Some of us will soon go to be with Him.  We may even be in the generation who meet Him in their air.  Either way we have some blessed promises and glory to come.

 “For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for Him”  Isaiah 64:4

 Our minds cannot fathom the glory that waits ahead for us who love Him.  What a wonderful place He has prepared for us.  “In my Father’s house are many mansions:  if it were not so I would have told you.  I go to prepare a place for you” John 14:2

 So take heart, keep your eyes on Jesus, no matter how frail you may become, or how your body may feel as you age, God looks on you as His special ones and waits to being you home to be with Him.

In closing, enjoy the wonderful song below.

 TIME HAS MADE A CHANGE IN ME

 Time has made a change since my childhood days; many of my friends have gone away, some I never more in this life will see, time has made a change in me.

 Chorus:  Time has made a change in the old home place; time has made a change in each smiling face, and I know my friends can plainly see time has made a change in me.

 In my childhood days, I was well and strong.  I could climb the hillside all day long, I am not today what I used to me time has made a change in me.

 When I reach my home in that land somewhere, with my friends who wait to meet me over there, free from pain and care I’ll forever be, time has made a change in me.  (Written by Harkens Frye)

 “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:  and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever” Psalm 23:6

 Blessings,

Pastor Sharon








No comments:

Post a Comment