Tuesday, July 12, 2011

TRAVELING WITH MY GOD

 As I traveled recently to the coast of Oregon, looking at the Redwood forests, traveling on the narrow, winding mountain road, sometimes we would travel a straight path.  We traveled through valleys.  Then we would begin to climb again.  Sometimes we would see the sun.  Other times the canyons hid the sun. 
 We went through fog as we neared the Pacific Ocean.  And along the way there were posted warnings to beware of rock slides.  Then ahead of us was God’s beautiful ocean, with wind and waves roaring.  Then the fog lifted and I could praise the Lord with the Psalmist in Psalm 96:11-13

 “Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and all its fullness; let the field be joyful, and all that is in it.  Then all the trees of the woods will rejoice before the Lord.”

 I rejoiced in God’s beautiful creation, but I was reminded also of the picture of His people traveling through life as pilgrims on a journey.  We are like Abraham looking for a city.

 “By faith he sojourned in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; for he waited for the city which has foundations whose builder and maker is God”  Hebrews 11:9-10.  “But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country.  Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them”  Hebrews 11:16.

 For as we walk we keep our eyes on Jesus, looking forward to our heavenly home.

 “Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand.  You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” Psalm 73:23-26
He never leaves me nor forsakes me (Hebrews 13:5).  He promises to hold my right hand as He guides me through life.  He leads me through beautiful forest glades.  Sometimes there are narrow mountain paths with steep drops on each side, which fill me with fear.  So I must cling tightly to His nail pierced hand.  Sometimes it is lovely on those mountains and oh, those mountain top experiences with my Lord!  Then the fog of grief and pain may cloud my vision and I dont know where I am going, but He is there right beside me leading me through those dark and lonely places.  Along those paths may be rock slides of despair, discouragement and anguish.

 Oh, the storms may blow and rock my ship, but my Captain can calm the storms of my life.  And when I follow Him closely the seas become calm, the fog lifts and I can see the sun again.  And when my travels are done, He will lead me safely home to glory!  Praise the Lord!

 I don’t have anyone in heaven but Him, and as much as I love my family and friends, there is no one I desire more than my Lord Jesus and to someday see Him face to face.

 “For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face.  Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known” II Corinthians 13:12.

 This body will someday fail, as it is only temporary.  My heart may fail, my strength may fail, but we don’t lose heart.

 “My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever” Psalm 73:26 (NLT).

 So don’t lose heart, my friends.  I know it is so hard sometimes.  Sometimes when the hard times come and our bodies fail us, words mean little.  Sometimes it is just the touch of a hand on a forehead or the touch of a hand reaching out to another and sometimes it is just a hug in the Name of Jesus.  Jesus uses us to touch others, as we are His hands to reach out to the discouraged, the sick and the lonely.  But as we are on this journey we are not alone, as He goes before us, and uses others to touch our lives.

 So keep your eyes on Jesus and on His promises, and soon we shall see Him face to face, and what a day that will be, when our journey will be complete, no more sorrow or pain and we can say with Paul:

 “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course.  I have kept the faith:  Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” II Timothy 4:7-8.

 In Jesus’ Name,
Pastor Sharon




No comments:

Post a Comment