Tuesday, October 4, 2011

WHEN I AM IN THE VALLEYS,
THERE I WILL GROW
It seems that lately I have been in the valley in this journey toward my heavenly home.  Oh, I love the mountain tops where the sun brightly shines, and where I have such sweet times with my Lord.  I am sure you have had those glorious mountain top experiences with the Lord also.

I remember as a child and on into my teen years going to church camp.  Do you remember such experiences?  We sang and worshipped the Lord, there was laughter and joy, and our counselors ministered to us, as we knelt to pray.  Many accepted Jesus there on the mountain top, and went home with glorious testimonies.  I remember those times around the campfire, dedicating our lives anew to the Lord, and oh, the glory of His Presence.

But then it was time to descend that mountain and go back down into the valley.  And for many, it was back to a life of abuse, loneliness and tears.  Some years back, I was a counselor in a youth camp situation, where the girls were brought up from foster homes and homes where there was alcohol abuse and other situations.  These little girls would literally cling to me when the cars came to take them back down the mountain, “please don’t make us go back” they could cry, and I would cry with them, knowing of the “valley” they would have to go back to.  They had had a wonderful time those few days, they were loved unconditionally, and told all about the God who loved them, and Jesus who died on the cross for them.  And we led many of these girls to Jesus, but they had to go back down off the mountain top and back into the “valley.”  But now, they knew a God who loved them, and would help them in any circumstance they would have to endure.

If I had stayed on that mountain top at camp, or those little girls had stayed there, we would never have appreciated the love of God through the trials we all must go through.  Many things have happened this week, and it certainly has been a “valley” time.  But I also have had some glimpses of His glory in my time with Him.  So many I know right now are in that “valley” of sorry and pain.  There are those who are grieving the sudden loss of a mate after so many years together.  Others are facing illness in their families and loved ones with cancer, and the future does not look well for some.  Some of us are having times of pain during the nights, when sleep does not come.  But I know, my Lord will see us through this time.
“Therefore we do not lose heart.  Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen.  For the things are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal” II Corinthians 4:16-18.

The Apostle Paul had wonderful mountain top experiences, but so much of his life was down in the “valleys” of persecution and suffering.  He wrote most of his epistles from jail, and he could still admonish his readers to “rejoice.”

He says even in this “valley” experiences we do not lose our hope.  Yes, this outward man is perishing, we will experience pain and suffering, grief and loss.  This “old” body is destined for eternity, and these afflictions, which on the other side of eternity, will seem but for a moment.  And think of the glory ahead of each one of us who love Jesus!  These trials we go through down here are just temporary, we can see those things,  but think of the eternal joy and peace that awaits each of His children!

We are reminded again of the cross, and the suffering of our Lord, and the pain and suffering he went through for us.  And the trials we experience, our little “valleys” of suffering cannot compare to the horror of the cross of Calvary, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” Hebrews 12:2.  He looked past the cross, even in His suffering, and saw you and me, and looked forward to the joy that salvation would bring.  Praise the Lord!
I don’t understand why some things happen as they do.  I don’t understand how a loved one could “beat” cancer, and then suddenly it is back, spreading to other parts of his body.  I don’t understand why some are healed and some are not, and the Lord takes them home, despite all our pleading and tears.  But I know my God is still in control, He is still the Almighty King of kings and Lord of lords and someday we will understand.  It seems that some people are in the “valley” a long time, and they never seem to be able to ascend the mountain heights of victory.

Someday the “valley” experiences will be over, and we will ascend His “Mountain of Joy” forever!  It will be a place of eternal joy.  I am looking forward to that day, ever looking toward my heavenly home.

 “But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and assembly of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel” Hebrews 12:22-24.

So if you are in the “valley” today, keep looking up toward the mountain top of joy.  And remember, as the poem says, “Forgive me Lord for complaining when I am feeling low.  Just give me a reminder that it’s in the valleys I grow.”  (Jane Eggleston)

In Christ,
Pastor Sharon




No comments:

Post a Comment