Tuesday, February 5, 2013

COME, HOLY SPIRIT, WE NEED YOU!


 
 
 
 
 
 
COME HOLY SPIRIT, WE NEED YOU!

Oh, what wonderful promises we have from our Lord as we walk along this pathway as pilgrims heading to our heavenly home.  The way may be get rocky and cause us to stumble.  Or the storms of life may begin to blow and we can’t see our way clear ahead.  We may feel like we are walking in the dark, no light in the pathway that we can see.  But, oh Praise the Lord, He has given us His blessed Holy Spirit to guide us, comfort us, strengthen us in our weakness.  So we cry out to Him to “Come.”  And He does come in all His sweetness and power.  He comes when we are weary, when we are dry and  we feel like our prayers only reach the ceiling. 

If you are feeling today like you need a special touch from the Holy Spirit, read these words or sing them as a prayer to the Holy Spirit if you know this wonderful prayer chorus:

COME, HOLY SPIRIT!

“Come as a wisdom to children, come as new sight to the blind.  Come, Lord, as strength to my weakness.  Take me soul, body and mind.

Come as a rest to the weary, come as a balm to the sore.  Come as a dew to my dryness.  Fill me with joy evermore.

Come Holy Spirit, I need you now. Come, Sweet  Spirit, I pray.  Come in Your strength and Your power.  Come in Your own gentle way.

Come like a spring in the desert.  Come to the withered of soul.  Oh, let Your sweet healing power touch me and make me whole.

Come Holy Spirit, I need you now.  Come, Sweet Spirit, I pray.  Come in Your strength and Your power.  Come in Your own gentle way.  Come in Your own gentle way.  (as sung by Bryan Duncan)

As I look over the words of this song, I think of the cry of my own heart during a time when I face a great trial ahead.  But I know the Holy Spirit is there to comfort with all His grace and mercy as I walk this road that He is leading me on.

But I want to encourage you that the Holy Spirit comes in the most remarkable, sweet ways.  It does not matter what level you are spiritually, I have found that the Lord comes and meets you right where you are.  I will give you an example of how sweet our precious Lord comes in the ministry of salvation, when He draws someone to Himself, especially a precious elderly lady who could hardly speak a word, but He came.  I was visiting in the nursing home this past week and saw a very elderly lady sitting at a table, head bowed over.

I approached her, taking her hand, giving her a kiss on the forehead as I always do with these precious ones and told her that Jesus loved her.  She began to mumble and I realized that she could not really talk very clear or hold a conversation.  I asked her if she had Jesus in her heart and was ready to go to heaven when she died.  She spoke a very clear “No!”  So I very simply began to tell her how much Jesus loved her and wanted her in heaven with Him and would she like Jesus to come into her heart, and she said “Yes!”  I knew that she could not say a complete sinner’s prayer with me, and wondered how the Lord was going to come to her.  So I began to pray.  And she looked up at me and simply said “Come!”

And at that moment He came!  I saw it in her eyes, and she began to mumble, I believe it was her thanks to Jesus for coming into her heart.  So praise the Lord, another soul born into God’s kingdom of life everlasting!  Praise the Lord!

Are you weary today?  Do you feel a weight upon your shoulders, as you feel like you are so burdened that you fall beneath that heavy load?  Yes, there is healing medicine for your soul, and He comes in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. 

“Is there no balm in Gilead?  Is there no physician there? Why then is there no recovery for the health of the daughter of my people?”  (Jeremiah 8:22).

Jeremiah asked the question in his day for his people, and we have the answer today in promise of the Holy Spirit who comes as a soothing, refreshing  balm to revive us again, to lift the darkness and bring light and joy in our lives again.

Are you dry today?  Do you feel like your soul is “withered?”  The Lord Himself promised that He would come as Living Water to the dryness of our soul, water of the Holy Spirit that would spring up like a well within us.

On the last day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.  He who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”  But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive: for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.  John 7:37-39

“So come, Holy Spirit, we need you today, in this hour.  And we need you now.  Some of us feel like our souls have withered and we are dry.  And some of us need You to touch us and make us whole, body, soul and spirit.  We need your strength and Your power to walk in the days ahead no matter what the trial may be that comes into our lives.  Some of us need You to come as our Gentle Savior, to come to us at whatever level we may be in our spiritual life.  We need Him to come as our Shepherd to gather us in His arms, to carry us when we cannot stand alone, as we become like His little lambs.”  And I pray this in the Name of Jesus, who calls us to “Come!”

In His Precious Name,
Pastor Sharon

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment