Friday, April 19, 2013













LEAD ME TO THE ROCK!

“Hear my cry, O God, attend unto my prayer
From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For Thou hast been a shelter for me, and
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Thy tabernacle forever:
I will trust in the covert of Thy wings.

Psalm 61:1-4

Our hearts are overwhelmed within us with the tragic news that we see happening around us.  And in our walk with the Lord there are some days where we just want to run and hide.  The road I am walking on toward my eternal home is cloud covered some days and I can’t seem to find my way, and many of you are going through great trials also.  And my heart goes out to those suffering from cancer and the effects of various treatments.

In this Psalm of David he is literally crying out for God to hear his prayer, his soul is overwhelmed within him.  He was running from Saul, and stated that he could cry out to God wherever he was on earth, and it is that way with you too.  Wherever you are, whatever your situation, you can cry unto Him and He will hear your cries.

And when we are overwhelmed we run to the “Rock” who is Christ Jesus, He is our shelter to hide in and oh, what peace and joy is there.  A friend of mine states it this way:  “Imagine yourself on a beautiful cloud far above everything: no worries, no pain, no tears, just total peace with your Lord.  All is total peace with Him, and calm and beautiful.  Jesus is your all in all.  You don’t have to do anything, just sit there with the Lord in your secret place of prayer, your “get a way” with Him.”

And when I run to Him, He is that rock that is higher than I, and that rock is immovable, strong and the safest place to be when the winds of trial are blowing.  And we know from I Corinthians 10:4 that the Rock is Christ Jesus.  And many places in the Psalms David talks about that Rock.  David was hiding in the wilderness, a place of many rocks and crevices so he knew about hiding in a rocky place, but his Rock was Christ Jesus, and aren’t you glad that Jesus is our strong Rock to lean on.

LEAD ME TO THE ROCK

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, higher than I, higher than I.  Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, you’re my tower against the foe.

Refrain: Hear my cry O God, answer my prayer, answer my prayer, answer my prayer.  Hear my cry O God, answer my prayer, you’re my tower against the foe.

I’ll take refuge in the shelter of your wings, the shelter of your wings, the shelter of your wings, I’ll take refuge in the shelter of your wings, you’re my tower against the foe.

I’ll fulfill my vows day after day, day after day, day after day.  I’ll fulfill my vows day after day, you’re my tower against the foe.  (J. Brian Craig)

Isn’t it wonderful to know that also in these stressful times that we can hide under the shelter of His covering wings, like a mother hen who gathers her chicks under her for safety, we can hide under the shelter of our Beloved Lord. ( Psalm 91:4).

“The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe” Proverbs 18:10.

The Name of the Lord Jesus is our strong tower, we cry out to Him in our times of trouble and we are safe, surrounded by His precious arms, as the storm may be blowing.

And David stated that He would abide in His tabernacle forever, covered by His wings.  David ran to the Mercy Seat where the wings of the Cherubim covered the Ark of the Covenant.  Now we have the privilege to go right into the throne room, right up to His knees, my faith.

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of Grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” Hebrews 4:16.

In these very troubled times we live in, run to Him, run to your secret place of prayer, sit in His presence, and let Him cover you with His wings of love.  Run to the Rock that is higher than you, run into your strong tower, call upon the Name of Jesus, as He will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).

And if you don’t know Jesus as your personal Savior, call upon Him now.  We never know what a day will hold, and He is your only security in this world.  He can give you that peace and joy, and whatever happens you know you are secure in His tender care, and ready for eternal life with Him.

Blessings,
Pastor Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment