Friday, April 26, 2013

YES, HE CARES!





YES, HE CARES!

Sometimes in this walk with the Lord we come to a deep valley, and we wonder if Jesus really cares or does anyone care? Are you feeling that way today?  Well, Jesus does care and He feels your pain, your grief and your loneliness. 

Let me tell you the story of another song, and then I will share an experience I had with a precious saint at her bedside.  This precious one was a singer, who loved hymns and praising the Lord.  Now it is like she is “locked” in her body, only her eyes move and she desperately tries to talk and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.  But she loves Jesus and knows that He does care deep down inside.

“Frank Graeff had a wonderful nickname – “The Sunshine Minister”  He loved little children and became famous for the stories he told them.  He was also called “a spiritual optimist,” and people were drawn to him because he had “a holy magnetism.”

But inside, Frank Graeff was going through some spiritual struggles.  Today we might call it a midlife crisis.  Struggling with physical problems, he fell into depression and had some spiritual doubt.  It all hit “The Sunshine Minister” at the same time.

He turned to the Scriptures searching for a verse that he could really hold onto, and he found it in 1 Peter 5:7: “Casting all your care upon him; for He careth for you” (KJV).

That verse not only guided him through his “downtime,” but it also inspired him to write the song “Does Jesus Care?” (The Complete Book of Hymns).

DOES JESUS CARE?

Does Jesus care when my heart is pained too deeply for mirth and song; as the burdens press, and the cares distress, and the way grows weary and long?

Oh yes, He cares; I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; when the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Savior cares.

Does Jesus care when my way is dark with a nameless dread and fear?  As the daylight fades into deep nightshades, does He care enough to be near?

Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed to resist some temptation strong; when for my deep grief I find no relief, tho’ my tears flow all the night long?

Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbye” to the dearest on earth tome.  And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks-is it aught to Him? Does He see? 

Oh yes, He cares; I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; when the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Savior cares.  (Frank E. Graeff (1860-1919)

I sat by the bedside of my precious friend who is totally paralyzed now.  She moves her eyes and tries her best to form words, and then she nearly cries with frustration.  Does Jesus care that this dear one, who used to sing His praises lies in that bed in the nursing home day after day, month after month not able to move or express herself and totally dependent on those caregivers there in the nursing home?  Yes, my friend, Jesus cares.  I sat there, after reading the Lord’s Prayer to her, and her favorite 23rd Psalm and reminding her of her mansions Jesus has gone to prepare for her, and saw the peace come into her eyes and her frustrations calmed down just at the reading of God’s Word.  It is an amazing experience to see the Holy Spirit bring calmness and peace.  Her dark way and nameless fear and dread are suddenly totally filled with His Presence.  Then I began to sing to her songs of heaven and oh, the joy on her face!  It is hard to describe this experience without tears of my own.  I don’t understand the “why?” of these situations, but I know my Jesus cares and loves her dearly.  And someday soon He will come and take her home and I promised her that she would again sing the praises to her King!

Are you having days of nights of grief over some temptations that you could not resist, and your eyes are filled with tears and your  grief over that sin is so great you feel that no one cares.  Yes, He cares, I know He cares and He understands.  And He will calm those tears that seem to flow all night long, and bring a sweet peace with His forgiveness, just ask Him, He is there for you.

And some of you have lost a precious loved one, someone who was very dear to your heart and they also loved Jesus.  Maybe you were married for many years that your loved one has gone home to be with Jesus and you are so alone and the grief is so great.  Maybe you lost a parent, a brother, a sister, a dear friend.  It is so hard to say “goodbye.”  When we walk with Jesus, we have that wonderful hope that we will see that precious one again.  Yes, our lives are empty and lonely, but does Jesus care?  Yes, He does my friend and He cares enough to be near, near to you to bring comfort and peace once again.

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world”  John 16:33.

In Jesus’ Name,
Pastor Sharon








No comments:

Post a Comment