Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A MEMORIAL TO MY LORD!












A MEMORIAL TO MY LORD!

As I wrote this it was Memorial Day weekend. On this Monday is the day we honor all those who have given their lives for our freedom.  We honor the memories of those with services and wreaths and flowers on gravesites.  It was a cold and dreary day for many, as the weather here in this area was cold and damp. And my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones serving our country.

But on this day, as I looked outside and saw the chilly sunshine, and was warm on the inside, I was thinking of another who gave His life so we could be free.  We see all the crosses in the cemeteries, but I am reminded this day of the Cross upon which my Savior died that I may be free from sin and have eternal life with Him.  And to be able to walk with Him day by day, knowing He brings peace and joy, even though I may be going through trials.  The clouds may come, the storms in my life, but He is the joy of my life.

I pray that you will turn your eyes to the cross of Christ this day, and make it a “Memorial” day to remember what Jesus has done for you, for me. Read the words of Charles Spurgeon, a great preacher of the 19th century as he describes his Lord, and let the words go deep into your spirit as you worship and praise our Lord and Savior!

“I bear witness that never servant had such a master as I have; never brother such a kinsman as he has been to me; never spouse such a husband as Christ has been to my soul; never sinner a better Saviour; never mourner a better comforter than Christ hath been to my spirit.  I want none beside him.

In life he is my life, and in death he shall be the death of death; in poverty Christ is my riches; in sickness he makes my bed; in darkness he is my star, and in brightness he is my sun; he is the manna of the camp in the wilderness, he shall be the new corn of the host when they come to Canaan.

Jesus is to me all grace and no wrath, all truth and no falsehood: and of truth and grace he is full infinitely full.  My soul, this night, bless with all thy might’ the only Begotten.’”

Can you fathom that, my friend, how altogether lovely He is?  In all the trials we go through, all the struggles we go through as we walk the path with Jesus there is never anyone as precious as Jesus our Lord.  As Spurgeon describes His Lord, he cannot even touch the surface of the beautiful attributes of our Precious Lord.

“God stretches the northern sky over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing.  He wraps the rain in his thick clouds, and the clouds do not burst with the weight. He shrouds his throne with his clouds.  He created the horizon when he separated the waters; he set the boundaries for day and night. The foundations of heaven tremble at his rebuke.  By his power the sea grew calm.  By his skill the crushed the great sea monster.  His Spirit made the heavens beautiful, and his power pierced the gliding serpent. These are some of the minor things he does, merely a whisper of his power.  Who can understand the thunder of his power?” Job 26:7-14.

We look at the sky and the clouds and we see the stars and marvel at the beauty of the heavens.  We see flowers, trees, and mountains, and Job in the above scripture reminds us that what we see of creation is only a “whisper” of His mighty power.

 So worship your King, and be reminded of His grandeur and beauty.  We serve an Awesome God!

O WORSHIP THE KING!

“O worship the King, all glorious above, and gratefully sing His pow’r and His love; our shield and defender, the Ancient of Days, pavilioned in splendor and, girded with praise.

O tell of His might, O sing of His grace, whose robe is the light, whose canopy space; His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form, and dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Thy bountiful care, what tongue can recite? It breathes in the air, it shines in the light, it streams from the hills, it descends to the plain, and sweetly distills in the dew and the rain.  (Robert Grant/Joseph Franz Hayden)

Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail, in Thee do we trust, nor find Thee to fail; Thy mercies how tender, how firm to the end! Our Maker, Defender, Redeemer and friend.” (Robert Grant/Franz Joseph Hayden)

And indeed He is Almighty God, our creator and most of all He is our friend.  I think of my Lord, and wonder, as mighty as He is, and look at His mighty creation and think that He loves me!  And He loves you, my friend, wherever you are, wherever you have been.  The mighty memorial, the Mighty Cross stands in the middle of history pointing the way up to heaven, crossbeams outstretched, reaching out for you.  So make this day and “Memorial” to Jesus, and give yourself to Him for all time and eternity.  He is waiting for you, please come, in Jesus’ Name,

Pastor Sharon








No comments:

Post a Comment