Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A MILESTONE ON MY
JOURNEY HOME

This month of March I will pass a major milestone in my life.  Usually birthdays have come and gone, but this one seems a little different, as if I have passed a mile marker in my life.  As I turn seventy years old, I wonder where the years have gone.

And I look back down the path and see His footprints leading me all through the years.  And the older I become, I realize that each year brings me closer to my heavenly home, and I think more and desire heaven more these days.  And as I minister to many senior citizens, some much, much older than I, I feel heaven is not far away.  And for some in my little “flock” it is right at the doors. 

So in this blog I will share some of God’s Word regarding the elderly saints and how our Lord looks down upon them.  If you are there already, or will be soon, these scriptures are for your encouragement, as you head up the winding path towards your heavenly home.

“Even to your old age I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you!  I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you” Isaiah 46:4.

The Lord reminds us not to forget Him, even when our hair turns gray, or starts to turn gray.  When our strength begins to fail, he reminds us that He made us, and like the Shepherd that He is, He will carry you in His arms, and walk with you through all your struggles.  Oh, how He loves His elderly ones!

“Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life” Proverbs 16:31.  (NIV)

I particularly love this promise.  Imagine that your lovely gray or white hair is like a crown of splendor when He looks upon you.  He literally crowns the elderly one with splendor and majesty because you have walked with Him in righteousness.  I use this one as an encouraging word when ministering to many in this work, and share with them how blessed by the Lord they are and how much He loves them.

Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth” Psalm 71:9.

Sometimes as we enter the winter of our lives, we can begin to feel like we are forsaken by Him and those around us.  Many I have dealt with are indeed forsaken by family, left forgotten in a nursing home or they are the only survivor of their family, and they feel so alone.  So we cry not to be forsaken by Him when our strength is failing, or our eyes are dim, hearing gone.  But He promises in Hebrews 13:5 that He will never forsake you.

“O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared Thy wondrous works.  Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not until I have showed Thy strength unto this generation, and Thy power to everyone who is to come”  Psalm 71:17-18.

Many of us have been serving Jesus since we were children and were taught about Him in Sunday School, and most of our lives have shared the Gospel with others.  And now we have entered our Senior years, and we ask the Lord to sustain us so we can pray and witness to the next generation, our grandchildren, great grandchildren and family members,  so that when we are gone, the generations that follow will know of your mighty power and love because of our witness for Christ.  Such a promise!

“Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand.  You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalms 73:23-26.

All of our lives, as His children, He has guided us, us on our journey home, given us counsel, and then, Praise God, He will receive us into our heavenly home.  Our flesh and our hearts may fail, but our God is our strength forever.

 SAVED BY GRACE

Someday the silver cord will break, and I no more as now shall sing; but oh, the joy when I shall wake within the palace of the King!

Someday my earthly house will fall.  I cannot tell how soon ‘twill be; but this I know my All in All has now a place in Heav’n for me.

Someday, when fades the golden sun beneath the rosy tinted west, my blessed Lord will say, “Well done!” and I shall enter into rest.

Someday: till then I’ll watch and wait, my lamp all trimmed and burning bright, that when my Savior opens the gate, my soul to Him may take its flight.

CHORUS:  And I shall see Him face to face, and tell the story Saved by grace; and I shall see Him face to face, and tell the story Saved by grace.  (Fanny Crosby)

When we gave finished this journey, and walked the final milestone of our life here on earth, we will wake in the “Palace of the King.”  These old bodies will indeed fail someday, unless Jesus comes and catches us away.  But we know He has prepared each of us a mansion and has promised to come back and receive us to Himself.  Oh, what a precious promise, and I can hardly wait, how about you? 

Keep your eyes on Jesus, and someday, then face to face!

In Jesus’ Name,
Pastor Sharon







No comments:

Post a Comment