Tuesday, March 13, 2012

OH LORD, USE ME!

As I again sit here at my computer looking out the window at the dark clouds and see the cold wind blowing through the trees, I think of friends and loved ones who are going through deep valleys right now with seemingly no answer in sight.  And some of you might feel useless in God’s kingdom because of your situation in life.  You may be suffering in your body and feel useless and discouraged.  Well, God always has an answer in His Word, and encourages us there.  Oh, what a blessing to open God’s Word and feel Him speaking to my heart!

“I will go in the strength of the LORD God: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.  O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared they wondrous works.

Now also when I am old and grey headed, O God, forsake me not, until I have shown thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come. Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high, who hast done great things:  O God, who is like unto thee!   Thou hast shown me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth. Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side” (Psalm 71:16-21.

 My Bible says that this Psalm is the prayer of an aged man.  He asked in verse 9 that God would not cast him off in the time of old age, and not to forsake him when his strength is failing.  But he says in verse 16 that he can go on in the strength of the Lord, and that he will make mention of your righteousness, and that to me, is the desire to continue to be a soul winner, to being souls into God’s kingdom.

Now let me tell you about a dear friend in the nursing home.  This precious godly woman is totally bedbound now, but she has led countless men and women to the Lord Jesus from her bed, and has prayed for caregivers who needed a touch in their bodies, and God healed them.

I don’t often have the opportunity to visit with her as she is often under sedation because of her pain, as she has many afflictions in her body.  But she told me this week an amazing experience that she had regarding the lady in the first bed in their room.  There is also a curtain separating the beds.

Her roommate was suffering in her body and near death, and my friend heard this lady swearing in her pain, taking the Name of Jesus, and God in vain, and she was deeply disturbed, knowing that this lady did not know Jesus Christ as her personal Savior and was in danger of entering eternity without Him.

So she called the lady by name, and the lady listened closely, as she gave her the plan of Salvation, and told her how much Jesus loved her and that He died on the cross for her and wanted to forgive all her sins and make her ready for heaven and eternity with Him.  And she told her how to ask Jesus into her heart.

Later, my friend was having a very bad night and couldn’t get to sleep, and listened for the other lady if she should need to talk but it was quiet.  Then, suddenly, she heard her speaking.  And she was praying, saying: “Oh, Sweet Jesus, O Sweet Jesus,” and my friend was so blessed at those words.  Then it was very quiet and she was able to get some sleep.

In the morning when the Caregiver came into the room, she asked her about her roommate, and how she was.  And the Caregiver informed her that she had passed away at 5:30 am.  My friend heard that lady asking Jesus into her heart before she died! Isn’t our God Wonderful?  I was in tears as she shared this story with me.  Here she is, in pain and distress herself, but leading others to Jesus Christ.

The Psalmist asked that when he was old and his hair was grey, that he be able to witness God’s mighty power to those around him, his generation, and also to his grandchildren or great grandchildren.  We are never too old to tell others about Jesus.  God will give us the strength we need and the Power of the Holy Spirit to lead us into situations to minister, bring comfort, or win someone to Jesus.  And if we cannot do anything else, we can also pray and intercede for those around us.

And in these situations, we praise our God!  Who is like Thee?  You, Oh God, who, even at death, your mighty power is at work bringing men and women to salvation.  And like my friend, there in the nursing home, you may have much affliction and pain.  But look at that last promise from this Psalm.  Someday, when this life is over, and our bodies have gone back to the dust, we will be resurrected from our graves, when Jesus comes!  Oh, Praise the Lord!

Jesus said unto her, “I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.”  Believest thou this?  John 11:25-26.

Yes, your redeemer lives! He is the resurrection and the life!  And someday when this life is over, we shall see Him face to face, at last!  And you will be comforted after all life’s trials.  And you who are afflicted, and still working for Jesus, even from beds of affliction you will be at peace forever.  So keep on working for Jesus, even when in the midst of great trials, in the midst of days when you feel your strength is gone.  You will be strengthened to go on one more step on the journey home!

Blessings in His Name,
Pastor Sharon




No comments:

Post a Comment