Tuesday, September 4, 2012

UNTIL THE STORM CLOUDS PASS


UNTIL THE STORM CLOUDS PASS

As we traveled on our way to the east coast recently,  the journey was smooth.  We made our gates on time, and thankfully there was not any turbulence.  We did hear that there may be storms over Philadelphia, our destination.  But we have flown through those storms in the past so we were not alarmed, and looked forward to reuniting with our children once again.

We soon were nearing our destination and began to get excited about landing, after a long cross country flight.  Then we noticed the deep clouds, lots of them.  Then the Captain made an announcement that because the storm below was so severe, that he was unable to land the plane.  He stated that he would have to circle around and around until the clouds parted, or he would have to take us to another airport elsewhere to be able to land.  So we prayed and watched the clouds.  Sometimes they would part a little and we could see a city below, but then would thicken again.  And there was the lightening flickering through those clouds.  And we continued to circle around and around up there above those clouds.  Then, finally came the announcement that we were going to finally land in Philadelphia, a bit late as we had planned, but we finally were on solid ground.

Are you going through a great storm right now?  Sometimes it is so severe that we feel that we cannot keep our feet on solid ground.  But finally, the clouds will part and we can “land” on solid ground again, and feel safe in our Lord’s care.  I remember so well going through cancer some years back, the uncertainty and the fear that I felt.  And I felt so alone in that battle.  Where was my God in all this?  And I ask the question, “Why?”  And then one Sunday morning, the Associate Pastor in our church sang a song that I felt was just for me, and I was reminded again of that song up there in the plane, in the clouds, as the storm raged below and around us, wondering when we would find solid ground again and the storm would part and the sun would shine again.

 TILL THE STORM PASSES BY

“In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face, while the storm howls above me, and there’s no hiding place.  ‘Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry, keep me safe till the storm passes by.

CHORUS: Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more, till the clouds roll forever from the sky; hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand, keep me safe till the storm passes by.

Many times Satan whispered, “there is no need to try, for there’s no end of sorrow, there’s no hope by and by.”  But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I’ll rise where the storms never darken the skies.

When the long night has ended and the storms come no more, let me stand in Thy presence on the bright peaceful shore; in that land where the tempest never comes, Lord, may I dwell with Thee when the storm passes by?  (Mosie Lister)

“He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High, shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty”  Psalms 91:1.

 In that midnight hour of pain and suffering, or whatever trial you are going through, He covers you with His shadow, isn’t that wonderful?  And there is safety there.  While the storm rages around you and the thunder crashes, you who love the Lord, are abiding under His shadow and there is peace and safety there.  Up there in the sky as the storm raged around and below, I noticed that as the clouds were dark, I could see the shadow of the wings of the plane upon the clouds below.  And that reminds me of His shadow upon our clouds of storm and uncertainty.  What a beautiful picture of our Lord and His precious love for His children!

And as we go through these great trials, we will become fearful and sometimes want to just give up, but our God promises us the day will come when we can rise above those trials, and walk in victory again, Oh, Praise the Lord!

 And the day is coming, my friends, when the trials of this life will be over, and we will stand in His Presence, in that wonderful place He has prepared for His children, and there will be no more storms to darken the skies.  We will be at peace with our Lord forever!

Also, on this trip, we heard the news concerning the great hurricane that was bearing down on the southern coasts.  And I noted that in the center of the hurricane is the eye, and it is peaceful there.  The storm rages around.  But when that eye goes over, it is calm before the storm.  That is like our Lord Jesus.  He is the Prince of Peace, and the Word talks over and over about the peace that He brings. 

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” John 16:33.

He calls us to have peace, because of His cross and His sacrifice for us, He has overcome the world, and He calls us to be joyful, be cheerful.  I know that is not easy in the midst of your pain and suffering, but He comes to wrap us in His love and in His peace.  He will hold you safe until the storm clouds pass and the sun shines in your world again. 

 “Father, I lift all those out there who are in the midst of a great storm right now.  They don’t know when their “Plane” will be landing or when the skies will clear.  But you are there, your shadow is on the clouds of their suffering, they are hid under the shadow of your wings.  Thank you for your comfort, for your peace that only you can bring.  And we look forward, Precious Lord, to the day when we will see you face to face, and the storms will come no more.  So lift up these dear ones, just now, into your Precious Arms, and may they feel your love around them just now, in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Pastor Sharon
 

 
 
 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment